About Whanganui Bay
Whanganui Bay is private property.
(Located at 38. 47'6" S; 175.43"54"N; Waihaha) (5515 Western Bay Road, Waihaha 3381)
Ngāti Te Maunga hapū have mana whenua over Whanganui Bay. It is a Māori Reservation managed by Trustees who were appointed by the hapū.
The Reservation was partitioned from Whakarawa Block in 1965.
The Reservation has no shares (no shareholders) and the only beneficiaries are ngā whānau of Ngāti Te Maunga.
Ngāti Te Maunga is named after their Tupuna - Te Maunga, the great grand-daughter of Parekaawa. Te Maunga descends from the youngest son of Parekaawa - Kikoreka.
Te Maunga lived her life in the Hauhungaroa and in Whanganui Bay with her family and descendants in the 1800s. As tangata whenua her mana and the mana whenua of Ngāti Te Maunga was asserted in Court in 1902 when her descendant, Te Waiiti claimed mana whenua rights for the hapū. He abundantly and concisely shared stories of historic events, specific locations and named areas throughout the rohe.
Access and permission to be in Whanganui Bay, swimming or camping, is automatically granted to ngā whānau o Ngāti Te Maunga. Permission to build or place a caravan in Whanganui Bay requires permission in writing from the Trust as well as a formal arrangement and payment of annual fees.
Non-hapū visitors require prior written approval from the Trust - including boaties. The Queens Chain does not apply in Whanganui Bay as no prior agreement has been made with Taupo District Council.
Permission to conduct any activities (excluding tangihanga or unveilings) must be granted in writing from the Trust at an Ordinary Meeting of the Trust. Such activities include (as per the Māori Reservation Act):
Parties larger than 30 people